The PFC and JQI fellows, postdocs, and students actively engage our community and the broader public in science.The PFC supports traveling lectures, where members visit colleges to talk about research. We have experience with all age groups K-12 through undergraduate. Examples of events include guest lectures, career days, assemblies, and individual classroom visits catered to fit science curriculum.
We also provide on-site tours on an individual basis.
Please contact Emily Edwards at email@example.com to arrange for our scientists to visit. We are flexible and will work with you to build a presentation that meets your needs.
Order a Quantum Information poster from APS for your school. The poster was jointly produced by the PFC @ JQI and APS.
Examples of Recent Events and Activities
- On April 30, 2016 members participated in Maryland Day, the annual open house of the university.
- On April 15-18, 2016 more than 30 members participated in the USA Science and Engineering Festival. This event, held every two years, is free to the public and attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors. This year the PFC supported demo "Parametric down conversion" was included in the demonstrations. This demo generates down-converted light and shows that you cannot split a single photon. For the second time, the booth also included the mini-MOT setup for viewing ultracold atoms, courtesy of ColdQuanta Inc. Levitating superconductors were also presented. Bill Phillips gave a stage show presentation about laser cooling. Some photos of the event are shown in the gallery above.
- In April 2016, Ian Spielman participated in "Rockville Science Day." http://www.rockvillescience.org/rcsday.html
- In March 2016, JQI members gave lab tours to various groups in attendence at the APS March Meeting, which was held in Baltimore, MD. The groups included press and high schoolers. Tours are available on request.
- In February 2016, we had a booth at the AAAS Family Science Days, held in Washington D.C. This event has an emphasis on younger children, but is open to all ages. It is held concurrently with the AAAS Annual Meeting. In addition the the booth, Steve Eckel gave a stage show presentation.
- Chris Cesare presented demonstrations at the Flora Singer Elementary School Science Fair in Silver Spring, MD in February, 2016.
- On July 29-August 1, a workshop for Science Fiction Writers was held (sponsored by an APS Outreach Grant). This event is a 'crash course' about quantum physics basics for writers.
- In July 2015, the PFC helped organized and participated in an AAPT pre-meeting workshop aimed at advanced laboratory instructors.